UPDATE: With the Bloody Harvest event now rolling out on PS4, Xbox One and PC, Gearbox has confirmed that the new Borderlands 3 update will be available to everyone by 11pm, BST.
Patch Notes for today’s Borderlands update has also been and confirms a lot of new changes on top of the Halloween event launch. These can be found at the bottom of this article.
ORIGINAL: A new Borderlands 3 update has been released today by Gearbox alongside the new Bloody Harvest Halloween event.
Many fans were caught unawares when the patch was launched, clocking in at under 8GB on Xbox One and PS4.
This new build of Borderlands 3 is different from the one launched on October 17, with no new patch notes shared yet.
The main component of this new update is the Bloody Harvest event, which is scheduled to go live later today, October 24.
Vault Hunters are confirming that after downloading the new update, they have found a special tab added to the menu screen.
This also includes information on the upcoming Halloween celebrations, which appears to still be inactive at this point.
The Bloody Harvest will run until December 5 and is a seasonal content update put together by Gearbox for all platforms.
This includes cosmetic items, new weapons and special challenges, all of which will be available for the full event schedule.
According to the dev team, Vault Hunters will need to have progressed far enough in the story campaign to have unlocked Sanctuary III, which happens early on.
There’s no current set time for the event to begin but it seems likely to have kicked off by 9pm, BST, in the UK.
That would be around 3pm PST in the United States.
“While Bloody Harvest is active, you’ll notice a peculiar newcomer aboard your ship: Maurice, a surprisingly friendly Saurian who can speak to you via a device of Tannis’ own invention,” a message from Gearbox explains.
“When Bloody Harvest begins, Maurice will offer you a repeatable mission that must be completed in order to reach Heck, the spooky setting for Borderlands 3’s Bloody Harvest.
“Maurice kindly asks that you collect a certain amount of Hecktoplasm, an item that drops from slain Haunted enemies.
“You’ll encounter Haunted enemies all over the galaxy during Bloody Harvest; you’ll know them by their ghostly green glow.
“Once you’ve collected enough Hecktoplasm, Maurice will open a portal to Heck aboard Sanctuary III that will transport you to the creepy domain of Captain Haunt and his undead minions.
“Once you’ve managed to stop shaking in your boots at the sheer spookiness of Heck, you’ll have to fight your way through an undead army of Maliwan soldiers who are rising from their graves with ambitions of revenge. You’ll also encounter freaky fauna including flying, fire-breathing Rakk-o’-Lanterns and wretched Ratch that’ve gorged themselves on blood.
“Deep within the depths of Heck lies Captain Haunt, the bony final boss of Bloody Harvest.”
As mentioned above, this is a content update from Gearbox, meaning there will be plenty of new loot and cosmetics to unlock.
Challenges will need to be completed for some of these new items to be unlocked and there will also be gear dropped that will only be available during Bloody Harvest.
This includes items like the Fearmonger, a new Legendary shotgun that packs a supernatural punch.
- Fixed a report bug resulting in a crash while loading into maps
- Fixed a reported audio crash bug
- Fixed a reported crash that occurred for certain users when level transitioning immediately after throwing a longbow grenade
- Fixed a reported rare crash that occurred for certain users after completing missions
- Fixed a reported crash that occurred for certain users when swapping an equipped weapon
- Fixed a reported crash that occurred for certain users when sorting the Mission Log by region
- [Consoles Only] Mayhem mode is now available in True Vault Hunter Mode on Consoles
- [Consoles Only] Added Photo Mode support for Consoles
- [Consoles Only] Added ECHOcast Twitch Extension support for Consoles
- Added new Vault Hunter customizations and trinkets
- Added ability to specify Mayhem Mode while matchmaking
- Adjusted the volume of the 2K and Gearbox logo intro movies
- Addressed reported concern where some players were missing skill points
- Updated gore stump textures for consistency
- [PC Only] Improved reliability of the voice chat system when open and closing the ECHO menu on PC
- [PC Only] Added a modification so typing in text chat no longer prevents players from fast travelling
- Singularity grenades will no longer cause Saurian corpses to float in the air after dying
- Addressed a reported concern that certain players experienced some Visual FX for the side mission “Transaction Packed” before accepting the mission
- Addressed a reported concern that some players experienced Brick getting stuck after chasing enemies off the cliff near Hector’s Lament in The Anvil
- Made a modification where Amber Lamps no longer has a chance to spawn during the “Defend BALEX” objective of “The Family Jewel” mission
- Addressed a reported concern with the Legendary grenade mod Quasar, where it was not counting towards the optional grenade kills objective in Slaughter maps
- [PS4 Only] Addressed a language code issue present in PS4 activity feeds for English
- Addressed a reported concern where users with their region set to Japan were unable to complete the Fast Travel tutorial
- Made a modification so Safe Area Calibration is now saved when relaunching the game
- Camera no longer resets to a random location when using the Reset Camera function in Photo mode
- Photo mode will now force exit when the player is teleported
- Subtitles are now present when joining another player’s game while a cinematic is playing
- Addressed a reported concern where some sounds were quiet or missing for the second player in split screen
- Made various split screen UI fixes
- Fixed a reported UI issue where the Mayhem Modifier menu would sometimes not appear for certain players
As stated in last week’s stream, this week’s changes focus less on weapons and more on fixes across the game. We are gathering data, reading feedback, and working toward improving all aspects of the game. Please keep submitting bug reports to support.2k.com!
- Now consumes 1 ammo instead of 5.
- Addressed a reported bug with “Space-Laser Tag” which prevented some players from progressing to the next objective
- Atomic has been modified to no longer become invincible, as has been reported under certain conditions
- Modified Powerhouse Heavy’s attacks to no longer damage players outside of the intended range
- Addressed a concern that Projected shields were taking too much damage from General Traunt’s attacks
- Fixed the reported floating door frame in the Jakobs Theatre
- Addressed a reported potential progression blocker when Rhy’s talks during “Hostile Takeover”
- Increased checkpoint sizes of New-U stations in multiple locations
- Included a modification so that Zane’s Digi-Clone will no longer spawn into the cage in Slaughterstar 3000
Those are a lot of notes to take in, and we’re still hard at work addressing reported issues in Borderlands 3. But given that we’re just about a month out from Borderlands 3’s launch, we’d like to take this opportunity to outline our plans for future updates, including some of the community’s most frequently requested changes. There can always be unforeseen challenges when working on patches and hotfixes, so we’ll keep you posted on more concrete release timings as these updates continue to progress. Here’s a look at some of the things we’re working to implement in future patches.
Game performance and stability continue to be our top priorities. The first fruits of that labor will be released in our upcoming November patch, with various improvements game-wide. We’ve also been hard at work improving the game’s stability and more improvements in this regard are expected to be included in the November patch. Performance and stability will continue to be an ongoing effort with more fixes rolled out with each upcoming patch.
Expanding the bank has been the most consistently requested feature by the community. We’ve heard you loud and clear and the groundwork for expanding the bank has already started. The first of several planned expansions will coincide with the release of Takedown at Maliwan’s Blacksite. Expect a significant bank expansion that will more than double the existing space. Additional expansions to the bank will continue to be rolled out over future releases.
Several of you have stated a desire to find gear more easily in the game. To do that we are updating the loot pools (the data that determines what in-game items drop) to ensure that more specific gear drops from bosses. That means you’ll be able to go to a specific boss to get the specific gear you’re looking for. We’re working out which bosses get which gear right now and expect this to be ready as part of the November patch as well.
In the late stages of the game when Mayhem Mode is active, we’ve found that player companions (Moze’s Iron Bear, FL4K’s pets, and Zane’s Digi-Clone/SNTL) are reportedly not performing as well as we had expected. To address this, we’re looking at how to adjust damage according to the relevant skills and gear. The goal here is to make sure we have as many viable character builds as possible.
Mayhem Mode has been a fantastic addition to the Borderlands world. After receiving some great community feedback, we’ve been hard at work on a significant revamp that will introduce a host of improvements over several upcoming updates.
The first update will be released as part of the Takedown at Maliwan’s Blacksite and includes the first new Mayhem Mode level, Mayhem 4. Expect a significant challenge when it debuts, with tougher enemies that reward players with highly synergized character builds. A new batch of Legendary gear will also only drop while in Mayhem 4 to reward those players who are truly up for the challenge.
Longer term we have plans to overhaul Mayhem Mode with more UI support, new Mayhem Modifiers that change gameplay more dramatically, Mayhem playlists, new rewards, and additional levels of Mayhem to work through. We’re excited about Mayhem 2.0 and we’ll talk more about it when we get a little closer to its release.
Marcus heard the outcry for more vending machines, so we’re airdropping in some more across multiple maps. Expect new ammo and health vending machines outside of a few boss arenas and a few in some of the bigger environments. Below are the locations where the new vending machines will be appearing:
- Atlas HQ
- Lectra City
- Jakobs Estate
- Voracious Canopy
- Tazendeer Ruins
- The Pyre of Stars