UPDATE 2: Fortnite fans can try out the game’s new Imposters mode, which is live in-game.
Similar to Among Us, Imposters sees eight players maintain The Bridge, while two Imposters aim to sabotage things.
Players vote on who they think the Imposters are, while attempting to safely complete tasks to inch closer to victory.
Elsewhere, Epic has announced plans to replace certain Epic and Legendary weapons with their silent equivalents as part of the next Wild Week, beginning this Thursday.
UPDATE: Fortnite developer Epic Games has taken the game offline for server maintenance.
Matchmaking has been disabled ready for the release of update 17.40 at 9am BST UK time.
The news was announced on Twitter: “We’re beginning to disable matchmaking in preparation for the v17.40 update, with server downtime beginning soon. We’ll let you all know when downtime has ended!”
ORIGINAL: Fortnite update 17.40 is coming to PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch and Android.
Fortnite update 17.40 has an August 17 release date. It will be available to download from 9am BST in the UK.
The only bad news is that as a major update, version 17.40 will be accompanied by a period of server downtime. The servers will begin to be disabled at around 8.30am, and should be back online by 11am.
The news was announced by Epic Games on Twitter, alongside a big clue about what to expect: “Grab your Coral Buddy. v17.40 rises up on August 17!
“In preparation for the update, downtime will begin at approx. 04:00 AM ET. Matchmaking will be disabled approx. 30 minutes before.”
According to Fortnite insiders like Hypex, update 17.40 will continue the alien abduction storyline, as Coral Castle gets removed from the map.
The IO mole will also be revealed, while the Exotic Burst Pulse Rifle will be added to the game. Judging by all of the latest teasers, Imposter mode may be fully revealed.
Elsewhere, the files for the Wonder Woman’s set will join Fortnite, not to mention the next set of challenges.
The remaining update 17.40 patch notes can be seen below…
Fortnite update 17.40 Battle Royale fixes…
• Preferred Item Slots: Chug Cannon moving to incorrect slots.
– Double item slot items, such as the Chug Cannon, can move to the incorrect slots when a new item is picked up.
• Cannot open Cosmic Chest if a player left the team.
– If a player leaves the team during a match, the team will be unable to open up a Cosmic Chest in the match.
• Prop Disguise services temporarily disabled.
– Due to an issue, Prop Disguise services from vendors have been temporarily disabled.
• Unable to proceed in Free Guy Quest chain.
– We’re aware that some players have become unable to pick up new Quests in the Free Guy Quest chain.
– Players affected will be able to pick up new Quests with the release of our next game update.
Fortnite update 17.40 Creative fixes…
• Players are ejected from vehicles in shallow water
– We are investigating an issue that causes players to be ejected from a vehicle when in shallow water.
• Adding the Skydome Device to the hotbar resets the island visually
– We are investing an issue where visual settings applied using the Skydome Device will reset when the device is added to the hotbar.
• Match Making Portal Slow to Update.
– We’re aware of an issue that is causing match making portals to update slower then expected.
• Creative Island images may reset to the original thumbnail image.
– We’re investigating an issue that is causing Island thumbnail images to default to the original thumbnail.
• Latency issues on XL Islands.
– We’re investigating an issue in Creative Mode that is causing players to experience latency issues when building on an XL Island.
• Barrier Device Issues Summary
– Placement of Player built structures blocked by Barrier Device. Player-built structures are not triggering correctly when a player is in a hollow barrier from the Barrier Device.